Wednesday 27 July 2011

Thing 7 - face-to-face networking and professional organisations

CILIP
I sent off my application for CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals) membership two weeks ago.  I'd been in two minds about whether it was worth joining for some time.  We have an institutional membership at work, so I was able to read the various publications they produce, attend training events and all the other benefits of being a member any way.  And I'd been following the various discussions on whether CILIP membership was good value for money on blogs such as Phil Bradley's and the CILIP Communities forums.  However, prompted in part by the thought that I may want to become chartered at some point I've decided to join, we'll see how it goes!

ARLIS
ARLIS (Art Libraries Society) is another one that we have institutional membership to, and so begs the question as to whether it is worth paying for individual membership.  I'm still undecided on this one, although I suspect I will probably decide to join.

LISNPN
As mentioned in the Thing 6 post, I'm a member of LISNPN and am trying to make the effort to attend any events organised in (or near) my area.

CLIC
Cardiff Libraries in Co-operation I've been part of this organisation since it's inception, although lately I haven't been very active.  CLIC puts on regular training and networking events for people working in libraries in Cardiff.  Some of the training events have been incredibly useful, though by far the best thing about them have been the behind the scenes looks at the various different libraries in Cardiff.  And, for a while I was the website administrator for the CLIC site.

Last, but not least, I went to what I hope will be the first of many CPD23 Cardiff meet-ups last week.  It was great meeting people I had been communicating with on Twitter (which along with blogs helped to coordinate the meet up).  We were lucky to get the yurt almost entirely to ourselves and had a very sociable time, although we didn't really talk about cpd23 that much!
                                                       Photo courtesy of WalesOnline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment