Arriving in London, I negotiated my way to Ridgemont Street just in time for Annie Mauger's welcome.
- Don't panic, it will be fine
- You already have a brand
- You can never fully control it
- Don't panic
- Get online - he recommended Twitter as a good starting point for those who are not already online
- Publish something - try something like In the Library with the Lead Pipe or check out the Library Writer's blog for writing opportunities
- Organise something - join a committee & help out with events, or if the kind of events you like aren't happening in your area, organise one yourself (eek!)
- Share something - some of the most popular blogs seem to be the ones that share advice & resources that can be helpful to others in the information profession
- Present something - apparently after the first time it becomes less scary (hmm)
He pointed out that it is not realistic to promote yourself as a 'super librarian' 24/7, or to worry too much about what other people are doing, it's not a competition. You only really need to compete with those that are pursuing exactly the same career path as you, and as there are so many different ones to choose from, the chances of you having exactly the same as anyone else are relatively slim.
"Just do something, anything! If you have an idea, try and make it happen"